IBM announced the new version for Sametime today for download
Prepare your machines and get the software download (and extra harddisk space …)
BUT – you can´t update form earlier ST-Websphere Version (8.5.x) to 9.0 because of change of the IBM Websphere platform from 220.127.116.11+ to version 8.5.5.
Reason: WAS 7.X = 32Bit vs. WAS 8.5.5 = 64Bit
Only Sametime Community „Domino“ Server (for chat and awareness function) could be updated directly, BUT keep in mind –> NO „classic“ meeting in ST9Community Server.
Upgrade path should be available soon on IBM Wiki Administering Sametime 9.0 documentation – but here is a short snapshot.
Moving to Sametime 9 from an earlier release of Sametime involves leaving your Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1 environment as it is, creating a separate Sametime 9 environment with a fresh installation, reusing the DB2 database so all data is preserved, then migrating your WebSphere Application Server custom configuration settings from WebSphere Application Server 7 to WebSphere Application Server 8. In-place upgrades of data from earlier versions of Websphere Application Server are not supported. There is no automated tool for end-to-end migration and the manual steps are complicated, leading to error. To ensure a smooth transition to Sametime 9, best practice dictates that a new Sametime 9 environment be built from scratch and data be migrated using WebSphere Application Server 8.5 data migration tools.
Overview of migration steps:
- Leave the Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1 environment in-place while bringing up Sametime 9 in parallel.
- You can continue using Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1 while installing Sametime 9.
- Re-use the same DB2 data stores for all the product servers so data is preserved.
- Plan your deployment, install, and configure security. Certificates can be migrated but require manual changes if the host name changes.
- Configure Single Sign-On.
- Re-install portlets.
- Once Sametime 9 is functional, configure manually the same Websphere Application Server custom settings and tunings that you created on Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1.
- Modify load balancers, TURN servers, and re-configure proxies (SIP, HTTP)
- Transition any other Sametime custom configuration you have made in the 8.5.2 IFR1environment to Sametime 9.
- Shutdown Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1.
Internesting statement is point 3 „re-use … DB2 data store“ – i never could reuse STSC database with new installations because there where mapping problems within (table & schema) so the SSC Server gets error on it; my way was to CREATE a new & empty STSC databse an RE-CONFIGURE Sametime again – Meeting and Advanced Database could be migrated without problems.
Maybe there will be a sql script to get this ex/imported into the new ST9 SSC … to be continued ….
The biggest change will come with the licensing (Sametime Advanced is now part of the Community license – aka Sametime Standard) and the Media Server (mulitple Videos, mobile Support), but i am happy that IBM finally implemented the REMOTE CONTROL function inside the Websphere Meetings (juhuuu … some things take a little bit longer)